Re: Printing "Alias" Definitions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45332] Re: Printing "Alias" Definitions
  • From: Harold.Noffke at wpafb.af.mil (Harold Noffke)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:23:39 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Tom:

Thanks for your advice.  Changing the Option Inspector worked as you
said it would.  I do have some follow-up questions, though.  You said

> Why not use instead the fully supported options InputAliases and
> InputAutoReplacements. Both can be set within the Options Inspector.

After clearing autoreplacements from the Option Inspector, I tried
inserting the replacement expression below into my User INIT.M file,
but it did not work.  It also did not work when I executed this
expression from a Notebook.  The autoreplacements were not inserted
into the Option Inspector, as I thought they would be.

InputAutoReplacements {
    "ff"->"FullForm",
    "df"->"DisplayForm",
    "mf"->"MatrixForm",
    "tf"->"TraditionalForm",
    "sf"->"StandardForm"}

My questions are: Why did Mathematica not recognize these replacements
in the User INIT.M file and insert them into the Option Browser?  Is
my expression syntax in error?

Also, does anyone know what rules Mathematica follows to determine
which expressions in the User INIT.M file will be recognized/executed,
and which ones will not?

Thanks.
Harold