Re: diffrence between ver 3.01 and 4.1 regarding N?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg39213] Re: diffrence between ver 3.01 and 4.1 regarding N?
- From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
- Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 02:21:17 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: Universitaet Leipzig
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi, try FullForm to see all digits of a floating point number that is truncated by the Print/Output functions. Regards Jens peter weijnitz wrote: > > I tried some of my Mathematica3.01 programs on a computer with > Mathematica4.1, > there where some differences that I could not explain. > > Regarding N: consider for example: > with version 4.1 I got: > > N[Sqrt[2.],16]->1.4142 > and > N[Sqrt[2.],17]->1.4142135623730950 > > and in version 3.01: > > N[Sqrt[2.],16]->1.414213562373095 > and > N[Sqrt[2.],17]->1.4142135623730950 > > Using SetPrecision[Sqrt[2.],16] I could make Mathematica4.1 give me 16 > digits precision. > Ideas? > > Peter W