Formatted output

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39244] Formatted output
  • From: Steve Gray <stevebg at adelphia.net>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 00:11:45 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello all,

	I want to produce a table of text output (in the same notebook
my code is in). The output consists of many rows of numbers, each row
containing the same number of numbers. For example the entire output
might consist of 500 rows each having 7 columns. It is important for
understanding the output to have well-formatted columns of a constant
width regardless of the number of digits in each number (which will be
no more than say 9). In the columns the numbers should be
right-aligned.
	"Print" does not seem to have enough control to do this. It's
much less flexible than the print statement in C. What I need is
something like that. I've been reading the book, sections 2.7, 2.8,
etc., and it looks like I will have to write an actual (small) program
to do this.
	I'd appreciate any suggestions or leads to a package where all
this is already done.
	Many thanks.

Steve Gray