Re: Log[Exp[r]] <> r?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg39287] Re: Log[Exp[r]] <> r?
- From: "Steve Luttrell" <luttrell at _removemefirst_westmal.demon.co.uk>
- Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 04:50:49 -0500 (EST)
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Log[Exp[r]] doesn't simplify to r in general because Log has a branch point at the origin. However if you specify that r is a Real then you get what you want: Simplify[Log[Exp[r]], r \[Element] Reals] gives the output r -- Steve Luttrell West Malvern, UK "Jonathan Greenberg" <greenberg at ucdavis.edu> wrote in message news:b22jou$6bh$1 at smc.vnet.net... > Hi there, why is it when I enter Log[Exp[r]] (or use Simplify or > FullSimplify) I don't get r? If I do Log[Exp] I get 2! > > --j > > -- > Jonathan Greenberg > Graduate Group in Ecology, U.C. Davis > http://www.cstars.ucdavis.edu/~jongreen > http://www.cstars.ucdavis.edu > AIM: jgrn307 or jgrn3007 > MSN: jgrn307 at msn.com or jgrn3007 at msn.com > >