Re: Linear and logarithmic fit

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39379] Re: [mg39363] Linear and logarithmic fit
  • From: Dr Bob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 04:53:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Use regression and choose the model that minimizes the sum of squared
errors (or some other measure of total error, if you prefer).

Here's a bit of sample data, three possible models, and the sum of squared
error for each:

data = {#, Random[] + 0.3Log@# + 0.2#} & /@ Range[9]
{x, y} = Transpose@data;
Fit[data, {1, Log@q}, q]