Re: easy(?) question on manipulating expressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38631] Re: easy(?) question on manipulating expressions
  • From: carlos at colorado.edu (Carlos Felippa)
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 03:40:24 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> Although AlgebraicRules is no longer supported one can achieve the same
> effect (and more) with GroebnerBasis and PolynomialReduce.
>
> 2. It would be interesting to know how "optimazing compilers" from the
> 1950s could do such "substitution", since in general it depends on
> GroebnerBasis invented by Bruno Buchsberger in the 1970s.
>
> Andrzej Kozlowski
> Yokohama, Japan
> http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/
> http://platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/andrzej/

We are talking about two different things.  Your comment
concerns polynomial manipulation, a more specialized topic.
Mine was regarding recognition of common algebraic subexpressions.

The latter was developed by the IBM Fortran group, headed by John
Backus,  from 1954 through ~1964.  They pioneered table-driven global
flow analysis of algebraic expressions ("algebraic" in the sense
of "Fortran expression", not polynomials). Reference: Part 2A of
Rosen's Programming Systems and Languages, McGraw Hill, 1966,
especially pp 42-45.

In the early 1970s, while at the Lockheed Palo Alto Labs,
I had to write a similar table-driven compiler for a CCC language.
By then the technique was in textbooks. I did it by recursive descent,
using a now defunct language called SNOBOL.