Re: OOP experiments- Component

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38695] Re: OOP experiments- Component
  • From: atelesforos at hotmail.com (Orestis Vantzos)
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 06:34:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Despite being a fervent supporter of OOP myself, I must note that
Mathematica programming has typically a fairly rapid development
cycle: functions are written and tested "in place" and the final
product is usually one or more "one-liners". My point is that most
users are not really interested in organizing their code in as strict
a manner as the OOP paradigm would dictate. The lack of types in Mathematica
is another hint to that. I believe that this "informality" is the main
reason that certain very skilled Mathematica programmers are opposed
to the whole OOP idea. I don't really disagree with them, by the way..
Anyway, I believe that OOP has more to offer to Mathematica in terms
of entirely new logical structures for programming, rather than as a
way to organize "traditional" Mathematica code. I feel that the
typical benefits of 'reusability','modularity',etc. might not be as
useful in Mathematica as in classic programming languages.
Orestis Vantzos