Re: Design problem in 4.2?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38704] Re: Design problem in 4.2?
  • From: Tom Burton <tburton at brahea.com>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 03:42:43 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 1/5/03 3:31 AM, in article av9520$sbh$1 at smc.vnet.net, "Jonathan Mann"
<mtheory at msn.com> wrote:

> Hi group, it's been a while.
>
> Perhaps there has been some discussion of the following but I have
> missed it.
>
> When evaluating, for example, 40(8)^t Mathematica factors both the 40
> and the 8 to yield 5 8^(1+t).  Notice the space between the 5 and the 8.
> Although it is clear in this example, given a sufficiently complicated
> input where what the output should be is not so clear one might mistake
> the above for 58^(1+t).
>
> Has the absence of a multiplication symbol in the output of Mathematica
> in these instances been a problem for anyone else?  Is there anything
> you can do about it?
>
> Thanks,

No, it's not a problem, but then I don't write conventional programs much,
so I am not used to seeing stars. Three suggestions:

(1) Use OutputForm for your Default Output FormatType, making spaces more
apparent.

(2) Use InputForm for your Default Output FormatType, which will show all
the asterisks.

(3) Always cut and paste or export. Mathematica provides many copying and
exporting options. You should not have to transcribe by eye and expose
yourself to such mistakes.

Tom Burton