Re: Use of units and simplification: Thanks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38935] Re: Use of units and simplification: Thanks
  • From: "Yves K." <yk at despammed.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 07:38:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

First of all, thanks to David and Bill!

David Park schrieb:
> Yves,
>
> One can usually obtain faster responses by providing a proper email address.
> There are some cases where responders might wish to respond privately or ask
> for more information and it is very slow doing this day by day through the
> newsgroup.

I agree. My yk at despammed.com is totally functional, though. Really nice
spam filtering service there (Until they haven´t stopped this weekend,
I´ll check this... no, works just fine).

> In using units, I think that it is often best to never put the units in the
> equations. Put the units in the data. Then you can manipulate and solve your
> equations symbolically without units ever showing, and substitute the data
> WITH the units at the end. Here is a very simple example. What height will a
> stone reach in 20 seconds if dropped from 2 miles.

Again, agreed:-) I tried to do so anyway, but got annoyed by
unsimplified units in the results.

Again, thanks! I will check out your packages...

Best regards,
Yves