Re: Solutions for functions containing jump discontinuities

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38987] Re: Solutions for functions containing jump discontinuities
  • From: "flip" <flip_alpha at safebunch.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:05:57 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Burkert, Philipp" <newspostings at burkert.de> wrote in message
news:b0lvo5$5b2$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Hi folks,
>
> we are searching all solutions where the function f results null.
>
> f[x_] := -7500 * Ceiling[(0.5 * x) / 880] + (5 * x)
> Solve[{f[x] == 0}, x]

Sometimes, it is helpful to try plotting the function on a macro scale and
then to find "regions of interest".

Once regions of interest are found, one can then use other methods to locate
the roots.

In your problem, do:

Plot[f[x], {x, -4000, 15000}]

and see where the area of interest is.

Can you now define the region?

What other commands are available to you when you can define regions?

Note: I haven't looked at other root finding methods to know if this can be
solved, but there probably is something in Mathematica, just some recommendations
when all seems lost to canned methods.

HTH, Flip