Re: Zero over zero, how many numbers?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38979] Re: Zero over zero, how many numbers?
  • From: atelesforos at hotmail.com (Orestis Vantzos)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:05:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I don't really see the point in all this, but here is my opinion:
0/0 is indeterminate and not undefined because it can NOT be defined!
It is in a sense 'undefinable', hence indeterminate.
If you don't know anything about complex numbers, it appears to you
that Sqrt[-1] has no meaning, just as 0/0. It is not the same though:
Sqrt[-1] can be defined to have a single (non-real) value I, so that
the whole construct that results has an internal consistency. Since it
can actually be defined, it is undefined(if you stick to real numbers)
and not indeterminate.
0/0 is indeterminate for exactly the opposite reason: if someone tries
to give it a reasonable value, it can be proven that ANY number would
be equal to it and the resulting construct would collapse immediately.
Therefore 0/0 is indeterminate, eg. undefinable.
Orestis Vantzos