Re: domain for sum of geometric series

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39124] Re: [mg39100] domain for sum of geometric series
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 01:06:26 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On further reflection, the p in your original question may actually be
a non-real complex number  e.g.

Sum[1/(1+I)^n,{n,1,Infinity}]

-I

So in fact the correct domain in your problem is just Abs[1-p]<1  This
seems like another good reason why  why Mathematica does not try to
tell you the domain of convergence. If you want to know it you should
determine it separately, using any appropriate assumptions you wish to
make (e.g. p is real).

Andrzej Kozlowski
Yokohama, Japan
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/