Re: no results with 'InequalitySolve'

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42364] Re: no results with 'InequalitySolve'
  • From: a_cjones at hotmail.com (cdj)
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 06:36:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Oliver Kowalke <oliver.kowalke at t-online.de> wrote in message news:<bds0i9$62b$1 at smc.vnet.net>...
> Hi,
>
> I've Mathematica 4.1 on Linux. If I try to solve this:
>
> InequalitySolve[Sin[x] > 0.5, x]
>
> Mathematica recalls it without solving it. Why? What do I've to do?
>
> thx,
> Oliver

um.... first try "?InequalitySolve" (w/o the quotes, of course).

If mathematica tell you it doesn't know what the hell InequalitySolve
is, then you have to load it with:

Algebra`InequalitySolve`

Then you get:

In: InequalitySolve[Sin[x] > .5, x]

msg: InequalitySolve::"npi": "A nonpolynomial equation or inequality
encountered. The solution set may be incorrect."

Out: x > 0.523599

.... which is sorta right, and thankfully Mathematica told us why it's
only sorta correct....

All of this is in the online help browser under "Inequality Solving"
(go figure)...

hth,

cdj