RE: Changing the shading contrast in ListContourPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42356] RE: [mg42331] Changing the shading contrast in ListContourPlot
  • From: "Wolf, Hartmut" <Hartmut.Wolf at t-systems.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 06:36:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 2:46 PM
>To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>Subject: [mg42356] [mg42331] Changing the shading contrast in ListContourPlot
>

>Hi, I encountered a question in ListContourPlot and am writing
>for help and
>advice.
>
>I have two sets of data, which have different ranges in x- and
>y-. (Say, one
>set of data is from {{-4,4}, {-3,0}}, while another set is
>from {{-1,1}, {0,
>1}}) and the z value for the first set is from, say, 0 to 100;
>while the z
>value for the second set is from, say, 0 to 20.
>
>When I do
>
>ListContourPlot[data1]; ListContourPlot[data2]
>
>both plots have the shading from black to white, but
>apparently the white
>regions corresponding to very different z value! (in first plot, white
>corresponds to (roughly) 100 while in second set it's about
>20!) The problem
>here is that both data sets have different x- and y- range so I cannot
>combine them to get one big data set.
>
>I was wondering if there's a way to "change/downgrade" the
>shading of the
>2nd data set? So that the shading of the contour plot of the
>second data set
>so the shading can be used to compare with the contour plot
>from the first
>data set?
>
>I'd also appreciate any suggestions on better ways to present
>the plots.

I'll give you an example for ContourPlot, you might try to adapt it to your
case for ListContourPlot. Execute this:

cp1 = ContourPlot[Sin[x^2 + y^2], {x, -4, 4}, {y, -3, 0},
    AspectRatio -> Automatic, Contours -> Range[-1, 1, .1], PlotPoints ->
150,
     ColorFunction -> (GrayLevel[(# + 1)/2] &), ColorFunctionScaling ->
False]

cp2 = ContourPlot[Sin[x^2 + y^2], {x, -1.5, 1.5}, {y, 0, 1},
    AspectRatio -> Automatic, Contours -> Range[-1, 1, .1], PlotPoints ->
75,
    ColorFunction -> (GrayLevel[(# + 1)/2] &), ColorFunctionScaling ->
False]

Show[cp1, cp2]

You see how both plots join smoothly. The secret is to make use of the
options Contours, ColorFunction, and ColorFunctionScaling.

--
Hartmut Wolf