Matrix functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42413] Matrix functions
  • From: "Dr. Wolfgang Hintze" <weh at snafu.de>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 03:10:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

We can define functions of an nxn matrix M as (infinite) series and
study their convergence using a suitable matrix norm and/or numerically.

For example

(1)
1/(1-M)=1 + M + M^2 + M^3 + ...
(2)
mExp[M_]:=1+ M/1! + M^2/2! + ...
(3) 	mCos[M_]:=(mExp[I*M] + mExp[-I*M])/2

Question: Are there standard functions (within some package) of this
kind available? If not, what would be the best way to define e.g. the
exponential matrix function (2), i.e. how to terminate the series
appropriately?

Any comments and help welcome.

Wolfgang