Re: javaview not working in Mathematica 5

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42556] Re: [mg42452] javaview not working in Mathematica 5
  • From: Todd Gayley <tgayley at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:54:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 07:24 AM 7/9/2003, spiros wrote:
>I see that Javaview (www.javaview.de) no longer works (a popup error -
>unknown class) under the Mathematica 5 demo using MS jvm.
>Checking the J/Link history, I see that J/Link 2.1.0 shipped with M5 no
>longer supports Microsoft Java and needs to either a) use a different
>vendors jre or use recode to use .Net/Link.  Jlink 2.0.0 works fine. Does
>anyone know the reason for not making it backward compatible and
>desupporting such a key technology?

JavaView still works fine with J/Link 2.1. The developers of JavaView made
the Microsoft JVM the default JVM used when you call InstallJavaView[]. I
do not know why this was done, and it will have to be changed now that
J/Link no longer supports the Microsoft JVM. JavaView works fine using the
Sun JVM, which is the one that ships with Mathematica and is the default
one used by J/Link. To get JavaView to work with J/Link 2.1, just set an
option when you call InstallJavaView:

     InstallJavaView[MicrosoftJava -> False]

Support for the Microsoft JVM was dropped from J/Link because it is just
not feasible to continue to support such an outdated version of Java. We
dropped support not just for Microsoft's Java, but all JVMs that implement
only the Java 1.1 specification (most platforms are up to 1.4 by now).

Just about the only reason for wanting to use Microsoft's Java with J/Link
is that Microsoft had some special hooks in it for calling COM. This
facility made it possible to call COM objects directly from Mathematica.
The new .NET/Link product (www.wolfram.com/solutions/mathlink/netlink) does
COM much better than J/Link, and this makes it an easy decision to drop
support for Microsoft's JVM in J/Link.

Todd Gayley
Wolfram Research