Re: Eulerian angles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42677] Re: [mg42668] Eulerian angles
  • From: "Dr. Robert Kragler" <kragler at fh-weingarten.de>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 06:20:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hallo Selwyn Hollis,

my attention got caught by the subject "Euler angles" of your question.

There is a nice chapter I found in the book of John W. Gray "Mastering Mathematica" Chapt. 6.2
which I tried to improve for my own lectures. You may download the Mathematica notebook
"EulerAngles&3DRotations.nb" from my home page http://www.fh-weingarten.de/~kragler/public/
. I hope it answers your question.

Another very good source is in the classics textbook by Herbert Goldstein "Classical Mechanics"
Addison-Wesley Chapt. 4.4 (I hope the German edition from 1963 coincides with the original
English version from  1959) and of course Eric Weisstein's "CRC Concise Encylopedia of
Mathematics" (1998), ibidem p. 570 which is also found on WRI web pages in interactive form.

What I was originally interested in is the inverse problem : given the position in Cartesian
coordinates (on a sphere) and determine the corresponding Euler angles. As far as I understand
it this problem has no straightforward solution only using nonlinear least square fitting. Perhaps,
you are aware of a good treatment of this inverse problem.

Greetings,
                   Robert Kragler