Point Symbols...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42726] Point Symbols...
  • From: Tessio <bg25039 at binghamton.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:25:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi I have a question about mathematica 4.2.  What I have is a 3D
pointparametricplot and what I would like to do is take about half the
points and turn them into some other symbol, say a cube or a circle.
I have tried to do this through many different methods ranging from
using the MultiplePlotList package (which seems to only work with 2D
graphics) to the option of SymbolShape and a few others.  The last
possibility I found was the PointSubstitute3D package in
ExtendedGraphics but this package would not even open.  Needless to
say none of these methods worked and I am still confused as to how I
can go about doing this.  The three functions used with the two
parameters to form the 3D point plot are all quite complicated as they
involve ratios of modified Bessel functions, so this makes the case
even harder.  I tried to extrapolate a list of each point making up
the plot and use this in other commands but nothing has worked at all.
 So I guess my ultimate question is how can I change the shape of the
points in a ParametricPointPlot3D???  Your response to this will be
greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
-Nick Frascino