Re: v5 FrontEnd problem on Linux

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42790] Re: v5 FrontEnd problem on Linux
  • From: Matthias Siemering <msiemeri at uos.de>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 04:32:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello!

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:29:42 +0000, Nilton Volpato wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed mathematica 5 for linux, but I am getting some very
> strange error messages:
>
> first, this one:
>
> """
> Mathematica has detected a possible internal error. .... "Assertion
> 'VerticalLineBoxMetaclassDefaults.ch != ((void *)0)' failed at
> spanbox.c:2981", ...
> """
>
> and after I press Continue, I get some 30 error windows saying:
>
> """
> An illegal right-hand side value was specified for the cell style
> option X
> """
>
> where X is in "FontColor", "Background", "TextAlignment",
> "TextJustification", "CellFrame", "Magnification",
> "CellBracketOptions", etc.
>

> Does anyone know how to solve this, and/or what may be the cause?

I experienced the same problem and emailed the Mathematica support team
about this, who gave me this answer:

After the lines

"#  Make certain that ${PATH} includes /usr/bin and /bin
PATH="/usr/bin:/bin:${PATH}"

add

LANG=C
export LANG

in your mathematica (/usr/local/mathematica in most cases) startup script.

> thanks,
> -- Nilton

- Matthias