Setting up fixed point problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42822] Setting up fixed point problem
  • From: "Mark S. Coleman" <mark at markscoleman.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 04:07:59 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Greetings,

I'm working on a problem involving estimating the parameters of a fairly
complex probability distribution. Denote the vector of parameters by x. It
has been shown that the following "fixed point" equation provides a solution

f(x(i+1)) = f(Sum[x(i)]} + v

where v is a fixed vector of size conformable with x, and where i denotes
the fixed point iteration (i=0,1,2,...).

In this case the function f is the digamma function, denoted PolyGamma[] in
Mathematica. I have two questions. First, can this be set-up using the built-in
FixedPoint[] function, and second, can the digamma function be inverted in
a straightforward way to yield the value of x at iteration i ?

Thanks!

Regards,

Mark