Re: Re: Big problem in solving radicals.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41814] Re: [mg41786] Re: Big problem in solving radicals.
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:50:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 08:31  pm, Davide Del Vento wrote:

> x=a^2 if a<0
> NONE if a>0

No, Solve or Resolve will never do that because they does not look for
real solutions. So what you mihgt get is:

x==a^2 if Re[a]<0

I have heard a rumor that Resolve in the next version will do something
like that. But don't get your hopes too high, a pretty small number of
problems of this type can be resolved at all, though if you can do it
by hand presumably Mathematica will also be able to.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Yokohama, Japan
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/
http://platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/andrzej/