help with 3D scatter plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41845] help with 3D scatter plot
  • From: "seferiad" <seferiad at pacbell.net>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 00:08:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,
I have Mathematica 4 and have two questions.
1) I have a 3D scatter plot, and I would like to do a least squares fit to
the data, and display the R^2 value. Since the graph is 3D, the curve fit
should be a surface.  I don't think I can do this conveniently, has anyone
found a work around for this?

2) Also, it is difficult to visualize the location of the data in the plot,
with or without the grids.  I once saw another graph (it may have been Igor
software?) in which each of the data points were attached to lines that were
parallel to the z-axis and stopped at the x-y plane. This is a very nice
feature. Is there something equivalent in Mathematica to help improve with
being able to visualize the graph?  Thanks, Jay