launch mathematica remotely with X11

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41952] launch mathematica remotely with X11
  • From: bobayl at student.ethz.ch (laurent)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:17:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I want to launch the mathematica program at university remotely from
home using the X window system for mac X11. after logging in on the
remote machine and starting mathematica with the command "mathematica"
I get the following error message:

< bobayl@fluidy2:1 mathematica
X Error of failed request:  86
  Major opcode of failed request:  51 (X_SetFontPath)
  Serial number of failed request:  8

mathematica is launched thereafter but items such as brackets and
other symbols as well as the palette items are not displayed
properly/cannot be used. Do I have to change any X11 settings or any
other settings within mathematica?

laurent