Re: Averaging

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41956] Re: Averaging
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:17:43 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I suppose, that the data are in lst1,lst2,lst3
I will construct a Interpolation[] function for every
data set and than average the interpolations.

Your data sets iclude multiple x values and the repeated
values must be removed with

ave[{{a_, b_}}] := {a, b}
ave[a : {{_, _} ..}] := Module[{x, y},
    {x, y} = Transpose[a];
    x = First[x];
    y = Plus @@ y/Length[y];
    {x, y}
    ]

list1 = ave /@ Split[lst1, First[#1] == First[#2] &];
list2 = ave /@ Split[lst2, First[#1] == First[#2] &];
list3 = ave /@ Split[lst3, First[#1] == First[#2] &];

Now a Interpolation[] can constructed with

ip1 = Interpolation[list1];
ip2 = Interpolation[list2];
ip3 = Interpolation[list3];

and the average can be plotted with

Plot[Evaluate[(ip1[x] + ip2[x] + ip3[x])/3], {x, 0, 320}]

Regards
  Jens