Re: Re: "Sloppy Union"? (Union of a list with *nearly* equ

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41975] Re: [mg41972] Re: "Sloppy Union"? (Union of a list with *nearly* equ
  • From: Amit Gandhi <akgandhi at uchicago.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:56:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I would like to add to this question -

I often try to use the N[] function to chop or round a number to so
many digits -
but if I choose the number of digits desired to be small such as N[x,
3] or N[x,4] it does
not appear to have any effect and the result remains in 6 digit
format...,

more generally - suppose you are performing a series of calculations
and you wish for the the output value x of each calculation to be
chopped before being input to the next calculation, does it suffice to
enter the input as N[x, 3]??