Re: Not plotting section of outfitting graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42120] Re: [mg42063] Not plotting section of outfitting graphics
  • From: Omega Consulting <info at omegaconsultinggroup.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 04:00:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 04:44 AM 6/17/2003, Student wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is it possible, and how, (I guess it might be an option) to tell
>Mathematica not to draw a solid flat surface in Plot3D where the curve is
>getting out of the alloted range, but to leave it blank instead.
>
>Thanks.

Here's an example:

gr = Plot3D[Sin[x] Cos[y], {x,0,2 Pi}, {y,0, 2 Pi}, PlotRange->{-.5,.5}];

ClipFill sets how the clipped region is displayed. None makes the clipped
region empty.

Show[gr, ClipFill->None];

The region surrounding the clip is not clipped "cleanly" because Plot3D
creates a SurfaceGraphics object where points are locked onto a grid. If
you convert to Graphics3D, then surfaces are clipped exactly where they
meet the PlotRange boundary.

Show[Graphics3D[gr]];

Omega Consulting
"The final answer to your Mathematica needs"
http://omegaconsultinggroup.com