Re: Calculus Wiz Help

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42148] Re: Calculus Wiz Help
  • From: "Steven Shippee" <slshippee at attbi.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:57:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Some time back I purchased Calculus Wiz and it appears to me it is just an
"add on" to
Mathematica, for those who already are running Mathematica, and is primarily
aimed at students.

If you want to accomplish something like work on piecewise functions it will
show you an example and create a "homework" notebook for you.  However, in
doing so, you give up the much more robust capabilities of Mathematica
outside of this limited framwork of an environment.

I ended up uninstalling it because it was much too restrictive, and I have
gotten more help from this list, particularly David Park, than that
particular package.

If you purchased Calculus Wiz as a stand alone package, then that is another
story, and you might want to look at the student edition of Mathematica to
*really* learn calculus with Mathematica.

If that is not possible then your best bet is to go to the "Make your own
forumla" area where you can enter traditional Mathematica commands such as
Solve, DSolve, etc., and not operate within the restrictive "show me" cells
that don't allow for much experimentation.

Steven Shippee

news:bcp0rk$7sa$1 at smc.vnet.net...