High-speed sparse matrix operations with Mathematica 4.2 ???

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42303] High-speed sparse matrix operations with Mathematica 4.2 ???
  • From: heimann at ism.tu-berlin.de (Justus Heimann)
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:31:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I have a speed problem running matrix operations like Dot[...] and
LinearSolve[...] on large sparse numerical matrices. Currently I'm
using Linux-Mathematica 4.2.

I noticed that the new Mathematica 5 promises to be much faster on
this kind of problems than version 4.2
(http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/newin5/performance/sparselinear.html).
But since I don't have the chance to upgrade to Rel. 5  yet, I wonder
if there still is a smart way to speed up large sparse matrix
operations under Mathematica 4.2 ?! Can anybody help ???

Many thanks
Justus