Re: Caching of values and delayed sets

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39705] Re: Caching of values and delayed sets
  • From: Nafod40 <may106 at SPAMAWAYpsu.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 04:25:05 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks for the answers, guys. Let me make it a little more complicated. Between
two evaluations of A the value for slow[ ] might change. It won't change during
an evaluation of A, but it will change between one evaluation and another.

What I do now, that works for my problem fine is to say...

eval = Block[{C = slow[ ]}, A];

This does what I need for the trivial problem I posed, but I might have a whole
slew of slow computations that get repeated in a single evaluation of A. I'd like
to have each of them run once and cache, but I'd like to not have to go through
the trouble of identifying them. Currently I have large expressions for a
variable like A that call functions like C:= slow[ ] repeatedly, and it is
slowing down the calculating of A something firece.

I don't think it can be done simply, but figured it would not hurt to ask.