Mathlink problem with number format

Hello together !

I hope someone can help me with the following problem:

I am using Mathematica via a Mathlink Connection. As commands I am sending
text-packets and I want to receive the calculated result also as
Returntext-packet.
This so far works well unless the calculated result is in an exponential
format like p.ex.
2.93219 x 10^7

In this case I would  receive in the Returntext-packet something like this:
          7\0122.93219 10    (with 10 leading blanks)

which is very unsatisfying for me.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Greetings,

Rolf