How to convert string to variable name

Howdy,

I'm trying to write a loop that assigns functions to a series of variables
which I'd like to name z, y, x, w, ... and so on.  The functions are matrix
operator of a group, which I would use like this, for example:

    state // w // z // w // w

Clearly I can generate the strings "z", "y", "x", "w" ... in my loop.  But
for a given string, how can I assign to the variable whose name is defined
by that string?

--
| If stupidity got us into this mess, how come it can't get us out   |