The difference between Needs[ ] & Get[ ]

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg40149] The difference between Needs[ ] & Get[ ]
  • From: "neuron" <b90401114 at>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 05:10:39 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hello MathGroup gurus,
I am new to Mathematica and now reading "Programming In Mathematica."
I am a little  confused with Needs[ ] & Get[ ].
I kow that  Needs[ ] checks $Packages whether the package is present or
not and I usually use Needs[ ] to load a package.
On the xiv page of "ProgrammingInMathematica" it says "Even better is
but on page 13,
when I input
instead of
an error occurs:
Needs::nocont: Context ProgrammingInMathematica`ComplexMap1` was not
created when Needs was evaluated.

I don't know why, for the Help says "Needs["context`"] calls
Get["context`"]. By convention, the file loaded in this way is the one
which contains a package that defines context`. "

I execute Mathematica 4.1 on Windows98

 Thanks for any advice.