Mlink, listen and connect, help

Hello,

I have been trying to write three external programs; one to open a
Mathematica kernel and to set it to listen to a given port say (5003).
Then using another program connect to that kernel to do a computation.
Therefore, I can call this second program multiple times without having
to open a new kernel each time.  Then a final program to close the
Kernel.

I have looked at various examples and have not been able to get any two
to connect. I am using a PC, since I know that makes a difference in the
argv commands (which I am not quite sure I am using the correct order).

If anyone could post an example of a program that could launch a kernel
and another one to connect to that that kernel to do a computation, it
would really help.  Thanks!
- Shawn