Questions concerning printing,editing, and copy/paste

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40240] Questions concerning printing,editing, and copy/paste
  • From: Steve Gray <stevebg at adelphia.net>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 06:50:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello group,

	I have some questions.

	1. I found that certain cells were not editable even though
Cell > Edit was true. Someone who knows far more than I suggested
doing Format > Remove Options > Recursive. This worked, to my relief,
but where was I supposed to find this obscure fix? There doesn't seem
to be anything in the Big Book index under Cell that's relevant. (And
many thanks to whoever suggested that.)

	2. When I do Copy/Paste, sometimes the expression (which is
usually output from a calculation) is pasted in with the pure ASCII
form, having lots of slashes and quotes, and sometimes it pastes in
just like it looked when I copied it. The latter is what I want. What
makes it vary this way and how do I always get the proper-looking
format?

	3. I rarely print from Mathematica, but today when I printed a page of
output that had been copied and pasted, some of the print came out a
different size from other print, where they looked identical on the
screen. When I changed the point size of the cells, the printout was
unaffected. This surprised me and right now I don't know how to get
proper printing (looking exactly like it does on the screen).

	4. Observation 1: I find the mathematical part of Mathematica much
easier to deal with, and much more predicatble, than the parts having
to do with formats, printing, copying/pasting, etc. Unless I get a
better handle on this, I would never use it for final printing or
presentation.

	5. Observation 2: I frequently can't find answers to my
questions in the documentation. For example, the above questions seem
to have no answers in the material I have. (I have the usual Wolfram
material but only one small third-party book. Is there one that would
help a lot?)

	Thank you all again for your useful answers.

Steve Gray