Re: help buttons

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40252] Re: [mg40236] help buttons
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 04:29:42 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Gianluca Gorni wrote:
> In a notebook how do I create hyperlinks to a given page of the
> on-line help?
>
> For example I tried to make a button link to the page
>
> Help>Help Browser>The rowser>The Mathematica Book> Mathematica Reference
> Guide>Input syntax> Input of Boxes
>
> using Input>Create Button>MainBookLink. Clicking on the resulting
> hyperlink does not lead to the right page.

Once you have anchored a link on a block of text, you must edit the
properties of the link so that it points to the desired location of the
online help.  This is done as follows:

1) First note the text that appears adjacent to the Go To button when the
desired topic is displayed.  This text is referred to as the index tag.

2) If you wish to scroll to a particular location in the displayed topic,
click on the front end menu command Find -> Show Cell Tags to expose the
tags associated with the target cell.  Some cells may have multiple tags,
but there should be one tag that is most unique to the cell.  This unique
value is referred to as the copy tag.  Note it for future use.

3) Select the text that you wish to anchor with a hyperlink.

4) Perform the front end menu command Input -> Create Button -> <desired
link style>.  The desired style is determined by which of the help branch
buttons are clicked on the Help Browser.

5) Now select the hyperlink text from right to left.  Perform the front
end menu command Input -> Edit Button.  This will show the options
associated with the hyperlink.

6) In the ButtonData field of the Edit Button dialog, enter a list of two
strings having the following pattern:

	{<index tag>, <copy tag>}

7) Dismiss the dialog box.

--