Re[2]: Eliminating unknown functions from partial differential equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41084] Re[2]: [mg41039] Eliminating unknown functions from partial differential equations
  • From: Stepan Yakovenko <yakovenko at ngs.ru>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 05:00:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello CAP,

CF> Stepan Yakovenko wrote:
CF> Sorry, but your system seems to be a system of ordinary differential
CF> equation. Your
CF> equations contains ONLY ONE independent variable t. For partial diff.
CF> equ., and how to solve systems of ordinary diff. eq. see:

1) Thanx for the link.

2) I've chosen the simpliest example. One can eliminate \vec H from
Maxwell equations (for optical waveguides):

\nabla \times \vec H = \partial_t \epsilon \vec E
\nabla \times \vec E = -\partial_t \vec H
\nabla \vec \epsilon \vec E = 0

=>

\Delta \vec E + \nabla (\vec E \nabla (\ln \epsilon))=
=-\epsilon \partial_{tt} \vec E

Is it possible to get this result in Mathematica ?

--
Best regards,
 Stepan                            mailto:yakovenko at ngs.ru