Re: typing/formatting multi-part definition with alignment

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41088] Re: [mg41067] typing/formatting multi-part definition with alignment
  • From: Bobby Treat <drmajorbob+MathGroup3528 at mailblocks.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 05:01:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Murray,

It's possible to do better, but I'm not really an expert.  Here's a
start:

display[f_, a_, b_] := DisplayForm@
  RowBox[{f, "=",
   TagBox[
      StyleBox[RowBox[{"{", StyleBox[GridBox[{{
        a}, {b}}],
        ShowAutoStyles -> True]}],
            ShowAutoStyles -> False], (# &)]}]
display[f, a, b]

You can type display[f,a,b] in an input cell, select that expression,
right-click, and select evaluate in place.  You can highlight a (for
instance) and type a new value, producing a new cell that you can edit
as you please.  Put the cursor on a or b, and you can push Ctrl-, or
Ctrl-enter to get new columns and rows.  Try doing the same after
selecting f, too.

You can also leave display[f, a, b] as is, evaluate it, and close the
original cell (Cell>Cell Properties>Open).  Dave Park likes to do all
the work in closed cells like that -- printing all the comments and
intermediate steps -- producing nice output cells that display the
results.  It can make writing the steps of a proof very nice.

Bobby