Using InterpolateRoot Function in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41125] Using InterpolateRoot Function in Mathematica
  • From: "Haritha Yalamanchili" <haritha12 at attbi.com>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 03:56:13 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I am trying to use Mathematica to find a value of "L" that satisfies the
equation

Integrate[sqrt(1+z^2) dx] - L0 = 0 (Integration limits are from 0 to L)

where,

z= -2 x(L C1 - 3 C2)/L^2 - 3 x^2(-L C1 + 2 C2)/L^3

In order to find the value of L that satisfies the above equation, I have
setup the problem in Mathematica as shown below. Can some one help to verify
if the problem is setup properly of if Mathematica is capable of finding a
root for such functions.

******
f(L) = Integrate[sqrt(1+z^2) dx] - L0 (Integration limits are from 0 to L)

InterpolateRoot[ f(L),{L,0,L0} ]
*******
(L0=13, C1=0.12, C2=0.25)

Value of L is close to L0 and hence, L0 can be used as the initial guess
value.

Thank You and Best Regards
Prasad