Re: Re: Euler's Gamma and Beta Functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41402] Re: [mg41392] Re: Euler's Gamma and Beta Functions
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <selwynh at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 05:02:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

For an earlier and more elementary example, you'll find the following
in typical elementary differential equations texts: Integer-order
Bessel functions are defined as certain power series with coefficients
that involve factorials. The Gamma function is necessary to extend
these to fractional orders. I suspect that this is the first context in
which the Gamma function appeared.
-----
Selwyn Hollis
http://www.math.armstrong.edu/faculty/hollis