Re: any good tutorials?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41460] Re: any good tutorials?
  • From: "DIAMOND Mark R." <dot at dot.dot>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 07:58:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

My preference is for

Author Gaylord, Richard J
Title Introduction to programming with Mathematica / Richard J. Gaylord,
Samuel N. Kamin, Paul R. Wellin
Published  Santa Clara, CA : TELOS, 1996
Edition 2nd ed

which I think is considerably easier to read and better organized than the
Shaw and Tigg book. I am fussy about typography which, I think, makes a
great deal of difference to how easy (or not) a book is to read. The TELOS
series are all beautifully presented.

I bought the two books in the same week when I first started to use
Mathematica, read them "together", and eventually let the Shaw book slide.
On the other hand, some kinds of coverage for specific problems is handled
much better in the Shaw book, and I still go back to it whenever I need to
tinker with 2-D Fourier transforms.

Cheers,

Mark
--