Packed array and ReadList

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41497] Packed array and ReadList
  • From: "Bruyndonckx P." <pbruynd at vub.ac.be>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 06:58:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a very large text file with real numbers.  I would like to read this numbers and store them in a packed array.
My computer has sufficient memory to store all numbers in a packed array form.  However, when I try something like
ToPackedArray[Readlist[filename,Real]], Mathematica uses much more memory during the process.  Hence I assume the
numbers are first stored in a normal list and the packed.

Is there a way to read a file of numbers directly into a packed array ? Since I am specifying that file file just
contains numbers, I expected that Mathematica (4.2) would store the result of the ReadList commando in a packed array
without me telling it to do so.  But it doesn't (PackedArrayQ gives false) and I have to add the ToPackedArray
commando myself.

Peter