Re: Magic number 23

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41508] Re: Magic number 23
  • From: "Christopher J. Henrich" <chenrich at monmouth.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 03:28:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <baiahc$djl$1 at smc.vnet.net>, David Terr <dterr at wolfram.com>
wrote:

> Dave Langers wrote:
>
> >>Mathematica knows the exact values of the trigonometric functions for some
> >>special angles. I was curious how many such values there are.
> >>

> >Take a look at:
> >http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TrigonometricAngles.html
> >
> >It doesn't explain what might be special about sin(pi/23), except that
> >it cannot be written as a simple exact value.
> >
> >BTW: This is interestingly enough related to constructions with compass
> >and straightedge:
> >http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ConstructibleNumber.html
> >http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ConstructiblePolygon.html
> >
> >Greetings,
> >Dave
> >

> 23 is magic in the sense it's the smallest positive number n such that
> sin(pi/n) is not solvable with radicals. To get radical expressions for
> smaller values of n, use FunctionExpand.

I have difficulty understanding this statement.  I think my problem is
that "solvable with radicals" is a slightly slippery concept.  As
someone on this thread has pointed out, Sin[Pi/n] is trivially
expressible in radicals:
(1^[1/2n] - 1^[-1/2n])/(2 * 1^[1/2]).
and indeed, Mathematica sometimes gives you answers like this.

Older books sometimes used "n-th root of 1" notation for
Exp[ (2 Pi I)/n].

When I ask for FunctionExpand[Sin[Pi/7]] I get a complicated expression
which is, to be sure, algebraic in that it is made up of square roots
and cube roots.  But, once again, it includes cube roots of complex
numbers.  I think that Mathematica uses Cardano's formula for the
solution of cubic equations.

FunctionExpand[Sin[Pi/11]]  is a truly impressive expression with some
fifth roots in it.  I really wonder how Mathematica did that.

Is there a body of lore on solutions of equations using the extraction
of roots of *real* numbers?

--
Chris Henrich