Re: Switching x and y axes in a plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41516] Re: Switching x and y axes in a plot
  • From: Bobby Treat <drmajorbob+MathGroup3528 at mailblocks.com>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 01:03:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This plots it both ways:

plot1 = Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 3Pi}];
plot2 = plot1 /. Line[{a__}] :> Line[Reverse /@ {a}];
Show@plot2

To plot it only the second way:

Show[Plot[
  Sin[x], {x, 0, 3Pi}, DisplayFunction ->
        Identity] /. Line[{a__}] :> Line[Reverse /@ {a}],
        DisplayFunction -> $DisplayFunction]

Bobby

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
Subject: [mg41516]  Switching x and y axes in a plot

Hello everyone,

	I'm new to Mathematica, so I hope you'll forgive my first couple of
naive questions.

	I've used Plot to graph a parabola as follows: Plot[ax^2 - 2bx + c,
{x, xMin, xMax}].  Is there any way to plot the function so that y
appears on the horizontal axis and x on the vertical?  (I realize the
parabola part is uninteresting; it's actually the solution to a
standard problem in financial economics involving the minimization of
investment portfolio risk for a given expected return.)

	Another plot-related question, if I may: do all plots require the
specification of a domain as {x, xMin, xMax}?  For example, how would I
create a scatter plot of experimental data where I have a long
two-column list or matrix consisting of x and y observations where the
data determine the domain and range?

	Sincerely,

		Gregory

	Gregory Lypny
	Associate Professor
	Concordia University
	"Better for us if you don't understand."
		The Tragically Hip

	http://pareto.concordia.ca