Power series solution to differential equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41533] Power series solution to differential equations
  • From: "Dr. Wolfgang Hintze" <weh at snafu.de>
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 05:46:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Given a differential equation of the form

diffeq = a[x] u''[x] + b[x] u'[x] + f[x, u[x]] == 0

where ' means d/dx we assume that u[x] has a power series expansion
about x0 of the form (t = x-x0)

u[t] = Sum[ c[k] t^(k+z) , {k, 0, Infinity }]

We have to determine z and the coefficients c[k].

Question: what is the best way to tackle this problem in Mathematica?

Any hint is greatly appreciated.

Wolfgang