Re: Decimal point in printed numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41584] Re: Decimal point in printed numbers
  • From: bobhanlon at aol.com (Bob Hanlon)
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 04:57:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Use a Rule

ticklist /. x_Rational :> N[x]

Bob Hanlon

In article <bavarn$28s$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Jan Rychter <jan at rychter.com> wrote:

<< Subject:	Decimal point in printed numbers
From:		Jan Rychter <jan at rychter.com>
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
Date:		Tue, 27 May 2003 09:24:07 +0000 (UTC)

I'm generating labels for axes in a plot. If I numericalize (N[]) them,
I get a decimal point after each number, even if there is no fractional
part. If I don't I risk getting rationals (1/2). What is the preferred
solution?

I guess I could either convert everything to reals (using N[]) and
change the printed representation (but I couldn't find out how to get
rid of the decimal point reading the manuals), or try to stick with
precise numbers and only convert if fractions result. Is there a way to
do that?

--J.