Re: integration of rational functions with parameter; simplification. Limit

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41647] Re: integration of rational functions with parameter; simplification. Limit
  • From: "Dr. Wolfgang Hintze" <weh at snafu.de>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 08:14:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Richard,

in Mathematica 4.0 I had none of the difficulties you mentioned.
Perhaps there is a slight difference in the definitions.

I started with the definition of the indefinite integral

g[t_]:= Integrate[(a*x+b)/(c*x^2+d*x+e)^n,x] /. x->t

Notice that I distiguished between the integration variable x and the
final variable t on which the result depends.

Now

g[t]

leads to the complicated expression you mentioned, and D[g[t],t] gives
back the expected integrand as a function of t.

Letting n=1; gives

g[t] =
                          d + 2 c t
(2 b c - a d) ArcTan[-----------------]
                             2
                      Sqrt[-d  + 4 c e]
--------------------------------------- +
                    2
           c Sqrt[-d  + 4 c e]

                      2
   a Log[e + d t + c t ]
            2 c

there are no error messages.

I don't know but perhaps the clue is to define the integral as I did
above, using a replacement in the end.

Regards,
Wolfgang