Re: Mathematica shows wrong numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41697] Re: [mg41669] Mathematica shows wrong numbers
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 06:07:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Fabian Müller wrote:

> I installed Mathematica 4.2 Student Version on my Linux PC with KDE
> 3.1.0 and Qt 3.1.2.
>
> In the Mathematica Notebook I type "x^3" followed by
> "Shift + Enter". Mathematica's output is "x^9". Now I copy this
> "x^9" from the Mathematica Notebook into this
> mail. The result is: \!\(x\^3\).
>
> Why is my Mathematica not able to show the "3" in the exponent?

The pasted result observed in your mail client is an example of
Mathematica linear syntax, which is a pure-ASCII representation of the
typeset content that you copied from the notebook.  It is described in
_The Mathematica Book_, Section 2.8.12:

http://documents.wolfram.com/v4/MainBook/2.8.12.html

--
P.J. Hinton