Re: Simple Question -- Incrementing All Elemnts in A list by 1

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44384] Re: Simple Question -- Incrementing All Elemnts in A list by 1
  • From: Mariusz Jankowski<mjankowski at usm.maine.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 05:16:34 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thiery, there are many ways. The simplest, with x as your list, use (read about listable operators)

x+1

else, for more complicated operations learn to use pure functions

Map[ Function[#+1], x]

But you can also accomplish the same with Table and Do.

Mariusz

>>> Thiery Balser<thiery.balser at gmx.net> 11/4/2003 3:54:12 AM >>>
Hi,

I'm sort of stuck.

I would like to have all elements in a list incremted by a given number
without defining a supplementary function.

What I've done so far is:

incFunc[n_]:=n+1;
Map[incFunc,{2,3,4,45,98}]

which is all fine. It is only that I'm looking for a solution _without_
defining the mentioned function incFunc.

Thanks in advance,

Thiery