Re: Fluid dynamics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44404] Re: [mg44363] Fluid dynamics
  • From: Nathan Moore <nmoore at physics.umn.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 04:50:48 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Cellular automa has always looked like a discretization of continuous
differential equations (ever looked closely at the Runge-Kutta DEQ
solver?  A cursory glance shows that any x(i+1) comes from x(i) and
maybe also x(i-1) with statistical weights coming from taylor
expansions.  This means that any differential equation can be
discretized and expressed as a "cellular automa system"

There's nothing new and fabulous about that - its the standard approach
in Numerical methods.

NT Moore
U of Minnesota Physics