Re: Out of Memory Problem (beginner)

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg44463] Re: Out of Memory Problem (beginner)
  • From: "Dana DeLouis" <delouis at>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:55:48 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

> A = Table[i,{i,1,6000},{j,1,7000}]

Just a point.  I noticed on your example that you do not have a trailing
";"  to hide the final output of the Table.
Most likely, you are calculating the Array "A", but the program is
running out of memory trying to display the Array.
I know!   I uh.did the same thing.  I had the same results as you.  :>)

It's a large array.  Even as a Packed Array, it's still large.

v = Table[i, {i, 1, 6000}, {j, 1, 7000}];

 {PackedArrayQ[v], ByteCount[v]}
 {True, 168,000,060}

Maybe you could dump the solution to a file on the hard drive?

size = Dimensions[A][[1]]

A[[r,All]] . A[[c,All]] >>> "C:\\Temp.m",
 {r, size}, {c, size}

= = = =
As a side note, I am not very happy with the way Mathematica 5 handels
its memory.  It is almost always crashing my system.  This never
happened before in earlier versions.  I've never gotton a memory problem
before until ver. 5.
The program often sends my hard drive into a continuous run that won't
quit.  After about 5+ minutes of the hard drive running (After I somehow
get the kernel to quit) I get concerned about my computer.
The computer is pretty much locked up after this, so I have to reboot.
I think the program has a serious memory problem.
( I have 256k memory, 40G hard drive, and have my $HistoryLength set

Dana DeLouis
Windows XP
Mathematica 5.0 for Windows
delouis at